Sainsbury’s plans not good enough for Carlisle councillors
Last updated at 12:51, Monday, 14 June 2010
SAINSBURY’S plan for a £40m superstore in Carlisle is on hold because city councillors dislike the store’s “box-like” appearance.
Councillors meeting yesterday had been expected to back the scheme in Caldewgate, but they put off a decision so planning officers can negotiate a better design with Sainsbury’s.
Conservative Ray Bloxham said: “I’m sorry if this is a disappointment to people but we need to get this right, to get the best possible store we can.
“It can be a flagship for Carlisle and for Sainsbury.”
Fellow Tory David Morton added: “I fully support Sainsbury’s coming to Carlisle but I won’t be part of a stampede to get them at any cost. We have to have Sainsbury’s on terms acceptable to the public.”
Concerns about the store’s appearance were first raised by Peter Messenger, the council’s conservation officer, whose report described it as a “tall and broad box lacking any character or interest”.
Mr Morton said: “My preference would be for stonework or brickwork to replace the claddin.”
Labour’s Carole Rutherford said: “Sainsbury’s should make some effort to make it an attractive building in its own right. Elsewhere in the country they have come up with more imaginative buildings.”
Sainsbury’s proposal is for a 95,000sq ft building with a glazed frontage.
There would also be parking for 446 cars and a petrol station. Access is from Bridge Street controlled by new traffic lights. The store would employ 500 people.
There is huge public support for the scheme.
The city council received more than 150 letters and two petitions in favour and just 12 objections, one from rival supermarket Tesco.
Liberal Democrat Jim Tootle, who represents the area, sent a statement of support to be read to the development control committee.
It said: “A £40m investment in one of the most deprived areas of the city will bring jobs and training opportunities.
“It would kick start the regeneration of the area.”
Sainsbury has agreed to give more than £1m for road and environmental improvements if the store goes ahead.
The earliest the plan can go before councillors again is July 16. And if it is approved then it will still have to be referred to the Government Office North West for a possible public inquiry.
Jo Try, Sainsbury’s regional development executive, was disappointed with the outcome. She said: “This planning application was submitted over a year ago. A lot of the information councillors seem to be concerned about we dealt with months and months ago.”
First published at 08:59, Saturday, 12 June 2010
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
we talk of the traffic problems in caldewgate been a problem for sainsburys. would there be a problem ? with the bulk of the heavy transport thell be using the new by-pass soon.ok a new roundabout would be better than the out dated road system that exists today.as for a square design,well there all that type of shape,it seems to me that those at the council get there shopping delivered/ internet shopping if theve never seen a box design superstore.
The Sainsbury design is not 'out of keeping' with Carrs (biscuit) building and the millenium bridge and certainly an improvement on the monstosity (blue) student building.
The Castle is remote and should not influence the design of the Sainsbury building.
The Castle has had a nil influence on the mess of the Willowholme trading estate.
View all 57 comments on this article