Workington school staff run in memory of David Foster
Last updated at 22:35, Thursday, 07 October 2010
Eight staff from Stainburn School will do the Great Cumbrian Run on Sunday in honour of pupil David Foster, who died in July.
Senior learning mentor Sue Carruthers, science teachers Jo Daulby, Iain Allen and Gemma Armstrong, geography teacher Simon Goodman, assistant headteacher Tom Martin, PE teacher Emma Simpson and special educational needs coordinator Jamie Woodcock will take part.
They will be among the to the streets of Carlisle for the half marathon to raise money for an asthma charity chosen by David’s family.
Sue said: “A number of staff did the West Cumbrian Run in the summer and toyed with idea of the half marathon.
“With the tragic circumstances surrounding David we thought because David was an athlete it was a fitting tribute to do it in his memory.”
The group asked David’s family to nominate a charity and his mother, Joanne, said they wanted the money to go towards an asthma charity.
David’s family plan to travel to Carlisle to be at the finishing line in support of the runners.
The Great Cumbrian Run starts from the castle at 10am and finishes at the Sheepmount Stadium.
Meanwhile, Commonwealth Games javelin competitor Lee Doran, of Carlisle, who used to train with David at the Sheepmount in Carlisle, has pledged to dedicate any medal he wins in the games to his late friend.
He said: “I know he is up there watching down on me competing and I intend doing everything possible to make him proud.”
First published at 19:33, Thursday, 07 October 2010
Published by http://www.timesandstar.co.uk
- Adam Collin's late blunder costs Carlisle Utd at Stevenage
- Are you up to speed with G-Day and it will affect your retirement?
- Number of rescues drop for Keswick Mountain Rescue Team
- Cumbrian army cadets visit Arnhem anniversary
- Cumbrian man determined to beat curse of MS
- Heading for a century
- Cumbrian MP urges stricken bed firm's creditors to agree rescue deal
- 2,000 trees planted on flood-hit west Cumbrian fields
- Anna sets new club record at anniversary gala
- Man charged with having extreme animal porn images
- Stagecoach to run extra buses into Lake District
- Sunrise and sunset times
- Horse porn Cumbrian man held in jail for his own safety
- National chain Weatherspoon's to open pubs and create jobs
- Cumbrian animal sanctuary giving unwanted pets a new life
- Cumbrian pub with a big reputation for Hungarian goulash
- Cumbrian rag doll woman rubs shoulders with Dragons Den stars
- TV chef criticised for poor hygiene standards at Keswick restaurant
- Happy years at Carlisle's Border TV